A great write up by Osisiye tittled "I am the goat that died"

D’you ever think about your name? A name could hold a decade, a name could be a story.
Osisiye – It sounds like a perfume, a fish and a vain lady. It’s so many things and it’s nothing at all. It’s long but I’ve made it short; I will make it shorter, still.
It reminds me of gratitude, it reeks of sexism. It is for the first – but I was not the first. How can a name be a story? How can a phrase carry a decade?
So it goes that a new wife was gotten and she was given a white goat, for luck. And the goat died. The new wife gave birth to a girl, which is good but not good enough. Then she gave birth to another girl, which was not good at all.
Finally, she gave birth to a boy.
Osisiyenemo. ‘God has done well for me’ because a boy has finally come.
I chipped away at the name because names are not final. Now it’s just ‘Osisiye’ which sounds like a perfume on some days. But that can be shorter still, just ‘Osi’.
My cousin has spoilt the name; he was the first ‘Osisiye’. But he joined a band and smoked too much and you know how these things go. I am like him but I am not like him. I smoke, I am an artist but I know things.
Osisiye, it’s the replacement for a goat. I’m the goat that died. It’s luck come back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

President Muhammadu Buhari urged senior military officers to respect rule of law and human rights in the service to the nation.

Cristiano Ronaldo voted as world's best player for a fourth time earlier this week.